Seriously, the working group assigned to Social Studies TEKS drafted this up?
• In the section on holidays, customs, and celebrations, it removes Independence Day and Veterans’ Day.
• In the section on holidays, customs, and celebrations, it removes anthems and mottoes of Texas and the United States.
• In the list of character traits of good citizenship, it removes “a belief in justice and truth.”
• Removes the Liberty Bell from the list of patriotic symbols.
• Removes references to Daniel Boone, Pecos Bill, Paul Bunyan, and Robinson Crusoe.
• Adds many new names including: Grace Hopper, Margaret Knight, Quanah Parker, Dr. Hector P. Garcia, Maya Lin, Maya Angelou, Sandra Cisneros, Kadir Nelson, Jean Pinkey, Angela Shelf Medear, Elisabet Ney, Carmen Lomas Garza, and Bill Martin.
• Removes the suggested selection of a children’s biography of Stephen F. Austin.
• Removes John Locke’s Two Treatises of Government and English common law.
• In the section on economics, changes the phrase “free enterprise system” to “capitalist system.”
• In the section on science, technology, and society, removes the reference to the private sector as helping improve consumer products and only mentions government-assisted research.
• In the section on science, technology, and society, replaces the phrase “analyze how policies fostering competition and entrepreneurship have resulted in scientific discoveries and technological innovations” with the “U.S. Constitution protects scientific discoveries and technological innovations.”
This is just ridiculous. There’s not even a subtle attempt to push liberal agendas in there. Of course, our students don’t need to know about Locke’s writings, they were only kind of really important in influencing the foundation of our country. And, we all know that the only research and innovation in our country comes from state assisted research. God knows there’s not an economic incentive to do so, and that people haven’t been freely innovating without the government for millions of years now. No, all that economic theory that people have spent their entire life studying, developing, and teaching is just the inane thoughts of crazy extremists.
I really hope that someone at the SBOE is able to get this situation cleared up before it becomes law and our children are subject to this pure propaganda of the left.